Disability Blankets for the Thumb Sucking Masses

i get daily google news pushes for SSI and SSDI disability because I am disabled and I write about it. My comment on this website for this article: http://www.workerscompensation.com/compnewsnetwork/from-bobs-cluttered-desk/17205-disability-blankets-for-the-thumb-sucking-masses.html

…derived from following dreadful excuse for a study. The “researcher” has no research or analytic skills. Your average 2nd year college student could do better work.

This tiny blurb is the basis of the assertions here that SSA ALJs approve cases that would otherwise be denied.

DL Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
From Workerscompensation.com
beginning of article

The only real surprise to me with this story is that it hasn’t received bigger play in the workers’ compensation blogosphere. The discussion may be out there, but I seem to have missed it.

study released this past week shows that recipients of federal disability checks often admit that they are capable of working but simply don’t. Furthermore, the study found that people closest to disability recipients tell them they should be working, but they have no plans to do so anytime soon.

Shocked. Simply shocked.

This survey did something that I have not seen before. It defined and explored a difference between SSDI and SSI, and how people on each program respond and think. SSDI is for people who worked and contributed to Social Security prior to their disability event. It is considered an “earned” benefit. SSI is for those who have likely never worked or have contributed very little, but have successfully convinced the government that they are disabled, and therefore are awarded an “unearned” benefit.

Researchers found that those collecting government checks from the SSI (unearned) program report less pain than those on SSDI. They are typically overweight, uneducated and from broken homes.

Shocked. Simply shocked.

***
That is certainly a startling conclusion: disabled people do not see themselves going back to work! The study does not prove that people who are able to work just don’t do so because they are lazy.
I myself am unable to work. I am typing this message in via dictation software, which is slow and tedious. I would give anything if I could work again. This is not a real life, living on disability, for someone who has always given 100%.
Stop trying to turn disabled people into scapegoats for the destruction that the corrupt economic policies of the wealthy and powerful have created.
Every human population everywhere has a certain percentage of people who just cannot support themselves in this economy for reasons of illness, injury or mental incompetence. Without government and community support, we will just die.
Is that what you want the legacy of your life to be: killing off disabled people so you can put more money in your pocket? That is the actual outcome of the focus of your campaign.

GC Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Hi,What we see in this is the collapse of the US meritocracy.  Eighty percent of people who are disabled cannot find work – whether they want to work or not.However, many people in general cannot find work.  When they do find work, it is meaningless and often unproductive.  One only has to look at the latest job numbers.  While there are modest job gains and unemployment is now at 7.8% (whatever that means), most of the job gains are in very low wage positions.Thirty years ago, jobs contributed a very high percentage to the GDP.  Today, it is less than 1%.  The largest contribution to the GDP by far comes from the financial sector – that means from people living in the investment and “rental” economy.  One could argue that those people, finding their wealth through Wall Street, are not really working in jobs.Setting aside globalization, automation and robotics, there is another issue that is never expressed because it is to some extent not appropriate to talk about:  Working for a complex that one profoundly disagrees with – Military, surveillance, drones, empire, WalMart, etc.  Who wants to be part of that?Looking ahead, the outcome is bleaker.  There will be unrest, but the chance of success is small.  And what will that success be?  Another possibility is that for the vast numbers of people outside the formal economy, there will be the discovery and emergence of a new informal economy.  The world is really two economies at this time, but in five years, this situation will be much more pronounced.Maybe the author of this piece would do better if he worked through his frustrations by doing something to embrace the changes that are inevitable.

And here is something to smooth the way:

__,_._,___

GC Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM
__,_._,___

DL Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I just went back to the web site my comments had been deleted
I posted another comment. He now has moderation on.
CNWow! A healthy, privileged, white guy “bi***ing” about those less fortunate than himself. And, as usual, when you try to instill any kind of empathy or compassion into the conversation, it’s quickly written off and/or minimized with further vitriol to follow.

AND, WHY is this article linked with Workman’s Compensation? When your on Workman’s Compensation you get SSDI? If there is a distinction, the complaints about SSI do not belong there, do they? Am I missing something?
I tried to follow the links to the actual survey; good luck! The source link listed on the Washington Examiner site goes to the Social Security admin’s web site and good luck sifting through the overwhelming info there to figure out which study is being referred to. If you know that info, pass it along, I’d be interested? The examiner certainly doesn’t want to give it up. But, again, I certainly may have missed something.
This subject grinds on me also, as we are also now in the category of the disabled. And Workman’s Compensation literally goes out of their way to make your life miserable. He makes the distinction between SSDI and SSI, but most aren’t aware of that. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as SSI.
Furthermore, as usual, I don’t find the Washington Examiner very credible. It was started by a very wealthy guy from Colorado in opposition to the Washington Post who this Robert Wilson is clearly a “shill” for. And the interpretations in red are unbelievably short sited, illogical and just plain MEAN! I also responded in the comments section!
CN

CN Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Still fuming here!It isn’t even the lack of “meaningless and unproductive” work, it’s work that doesn’t pay enough to live on. Most of the jobs are only part-time jobs with companies like Walmart dispensing advice to employees on how to get food stamps because they can’t make enough to even eat. Most people that are disabled can’t physically or mentally work more than one part-time job in order to survive!The fat and lazy labels are just plain MEAN! Throughout my working career, I’ve worked with plenty of over weight people AND worked with those on the job that are lazy. It always amazed me when the lazy people kept their jobs; the majority of employees disliked these lazy people who were a constant irritant. It’s one of the few clues that made me suspicious that it was who you knew, not how hard you worked that kept your job (another subject really)! Despair can lead to depression and is often an unconscious motivator to over eat. It’s damned hard to work your way out of such a state, especially when there are no living wage jobs to boost your self esteem or even just survive. This guy doesn’t seem to even know that most of the poor, WORK!Why aren’t those who feel the wagon is getting harder to pull angry at the puppet masters making the rules that make those wagons heavier?! Why aren’t they angry at the those putting into place the conditions that make the ranks of those who can’t physically pull or won’t swell?! Why aren’t the wagon pullers angry at those who have so much wealth, never pull a wagon at all, but yet they’re in charge of the rules of the wagon traffic??Ew ew ew, grrrrrgggghhhh!!!! Okay, have to calm the ire here!    -CN

CN Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I too posted comments that haven’t shown up. I did read your comments though Deb. Do we have a “toll” working on the Workmen’s Compensation web site. Not only did I ask for a URL to the specific study, not just the Soc Sec admin web site, but I asked why the this comment was on the Workmen’s Comp site at all. Since he’s ranting about SSI, why aren’t his complaints on another site related to that separate program?!
Is it possible to complain to the web master about all this, I wonder? Why should someone be able to write a rant like that, without receiving comments in reply.
- Cherri

__,_._,___

DL Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

[Quoted text hidden]

Later developments: I posted my comment. It was deleted. I went back to post another comment, and the comment section was newly under moderation. I posted anyway but it did not show up.

This workerscompensation.com site was developed by this schmuck to destroy the public benefits infrastructure. this is obvious from perusal of the site.
Following are comments from a person in another group I belong to.
********
Wow! A healthy, privileged, white guy “bitching” about those less fortunate than himself. And, as usual, when you try to instill any kind of empathy or compassion into the conversation, it’s quickly written off and/or minimized with further vitriol to follow.
*****
[Quoted text hidden]

DL Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I think that the author is his own webmaster and this site belongs to him. This is typical of right wing internet presence. There are no restraints on their hate. I can see that you are as ticked off about this as me.
I just posted the whole convo (without providing any identifying information about you) to the Secular Humanist list, which I joined recently on behalf of a friend whose listservs I administer. It’s busy but you can get the digest version or go to the site and read the messages.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SECULARHUMANIST/  you can go to the site to join or send an email to:
greg dempsey is the moderator of this 747 person group and he’s really cool
[Quoted text hidden]

DL Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM

C, your comment is not yet posted. His claim that he doesn’t want to harm the truly disabled is defeated by his speaking brief: nothing about making the system better.

From Mr. Thumbs: Don’t be ridiculous. My campaign has nothing to do with the truly disabled. It has everything to do with the continued expansion of the definition of disability. In this and your subsequent post you make allegations of broad corruption of the wealthy and powerful, and rightly point out the decline in the productivity and value of work in America.

You blame corporate America. While they certainly have made mistakes and blunders, I place the blame on burgeoning government and oppressive legislation across many facets of society. Employers today are being regulated out of the employment business, plain and simple.

You do not want to work for a “complex with which you disagree”. You will, however, accept financial support from that complex. I am not questioning the validity of your disability, I am simply pointing out a relative fact.

I also take a bit of offense at your notion that some people can only find “meaningless and often unproductive” work. I would submit that any job that provides a service or produces value for the economy is not meaningless. Your statement implies that those people somehow gain meaning and personal value living off other taxpayers simply because they cannot find a job that suits them. Ridiculous, but indicative of the problems we face today.

Whatever economic shifts are looming on the horizon, formal or informal, this issue will still be relevant. Those of us pulling the wagon are noticing it is getting heavier, and some within it could be pulling as well. How long before we stop pulling?

Sir: if your campaign has nothing to do with the truly disabled, then you should have a track record of standing up for them. I see in your Speaker’s Brief that rather you get paid to rail against “entitlements.” This is a new word made up by the extremist fascist right to disenfranchise people from the tiny bit of help that the state provides to the injured and ill. The truth is that you earn your living because we exist. Disability is a natural occurrence among human beings. Only monsters would side with those who would deny us the pittance we get. I worked hard my whole life. When I wasn’t working I was leading my class at university and law school. Nothing stopped me, until the accumulated injuries of a hard lifetime caught up with me in 2006. Since then I have been homeless and without food more times than I can count.

So you would improve your credibility by taking more note of people like me, who make up the supermajority of disabled. It is harder than hell to get approved.

HC
Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Don’t forget this guy runs –workerscomp.com. Which is primarily for employers.I’ve read their forums and they are not nice to injured workers seeking advice. So I would propose to him the idea of eliminating workers compensation and see what happens!!!!
Harold

Yup. They wouldn’t be able to make a living without the disabled. OL

CL wrote
Yes, HC just made me aware that this is a private website. He apparently tried to post some questions there a long time ago and got bashed. The whole web site is misleading to me. I even know it should be a .gov to be a government site and still fell the misleading nature of this site. It’s a members only site, which is most likely why our comments don’t show up, and I suspect members mean employers, not employees or recipients of workmen’s comp benefits. I went to the home page and it’s designed to look highly official. I find that extremely misleading!
[Quoted text hidden]

Hi,Oh dear…”Arbeit macht frei.”  “labour makes (you) free.”In the name of efficiency…Everything has a place and everything in it’s place.  And someone is to blame and needs to be punished.  Reductive moral conclusions about fairness – those who work and pay taxes while others take from the system.  A justice model of seeing the universe.  As you know, this is rampant authoritarianism and it has a large part to play in what brought us this failure in the first place.  As is the desire to dictate what is and is not a meaningful life for others.  Yet, his emphasis is Libertarian.  (And here is the problem with The Political Compass.  Authoritarianism and Libertarianism are not on opposite ends of a spectrum, they are the same thing.  The Political Compass was designed by Libertarians trying to find a way into the political debate.  And this is also the fallacy of Libertarianism – you are only as free and autonomous as the Libertarians will allow.)We agree the system has failed, but this person would continue with the old obsolete ideas of the Republican and Democratic parties.Here in Santa Clara one of the most economically successful areas of the nation and the world, there are approximately 7,500 homeless people.  Approximately 5,000 are able to find shelter every night.  About 2,500 sleep in the open somewhere.  There is an area here just off the freeway and out of sight where about 650 homeless people attempt to survive – survival is very tenuous as bodies are taken out of this place daily.  I use this as an example in this discuss about people who are disabled because it is well known that 43% of these homeless people are disabled – genuinely disabled and trying to survive.  There is no social welfare system for these people.  They are trapped outside the system for various reasons.  The need is great now, but it will only increase as time goes by.  Our work and the work of the system should be identifying these people and getting them help.  It is an enormous and expensive task.  Such is the price of failure.  It is hard to imagine something more inefficient than a failed political system.

The concern here is that people who are disabled taking the hit for the failed dogma and ignorance of the ruling class is set in history.  As collapse continues, more and more people will emerge with anger to blame people who are disabled.  That they should act on this anger is also not new.  The consequences have been disastrous.  If you at are all concerned about this, there is more than enough work to do to head this off without becoming part of the problem and bashing people all over again.

GC

This entry was posted in Disability Fraud, Elephants in the Room, Republican Dirty Tricks, right wing paranoia. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.